• Reserve your car ahead of time. Don’t wait until the day-of
to make your car rental plans. We rented through kayak.com.
• If you’re interested in visiting wineries off the beaten
path, be sure to make reservations in advance.
• No airlines fly directly from the U. S. to Mendoza. But you
can fly within the country on Aerolineas Argentinas or LAN
Airlines. In addition, buses travel to Mendoza from Buenos
Aires or Santiago, Chile.
• Allow extra space in your checked luggage to bring home
wine (and protect it to prevent breakage). Returning to the
U. S., you won’t have any trouble at customs with a case of
wine for personal use. But large quantities for commercial
resale will be taxed.
• If you’re travelling to Malargüe, consider renting a high-
clearance vehicle to explore the more remote areas of the
• We stayed at hostels, booking mostly in advance at
hostelworld.com. Planning ahead is especially important
during the high season (December, January, February).
IF YOU GO