Marin Home / before & after
A large San Rafael family looks to
reclaim the living and family rooms.
BY SOPHIE SHULMAN
The living room and family rooms were remod- eled in 2012 in this home in the Dominican area of San rafael. the owners, a couple with four young children, envisioned moving family activ- ity from small spaces to the largest room, the
living room, which had previously sat empty and unused.
they chose interior designer annie lowengart after falling
for her fresh and youthful design style. her practical creativity, balance of form and function and ability to stay on
budget sealed the deal.
112 MAY 2013 MARIN
• Painted the walls a high gloss (Benjamin Moore
Polo Blue) to give them a more contemporary feel.
• Juxtaposed different patterns like the geometric
shapes in the carpet and the dots on the pillow.
• Made custom 24-inch pillows that were good for
both lounging and pillow fighting.
• Had a custom sectional built to fit the room and
maximize the space by Partridge Associates.
• Added lime green color for a touch of whimsy.
Before the redesign, this room had almost no
architectural detail. To create contrast in the
small space, Lowengart chose a chocolate and
navy palette. Because the room is used for
relaxation, she incorporated seating that was
comfortable, durable and aesthetically pleasing.
• Coffee table Crate and Barrel, “Lodge” model
• Custom sectional Partridge Associates in San
• Custom chair Partridge Associates in San